Thursday 25 September 2014

Crusade For Vengeance

Something very surprising happened this morning.  I finished the first draft!

As I said yesterday, I had a really good days writing and I knew that the scene was coming to an end.  I had to stop as I needed to have dinner before going to Karate.  This morning I did my normal read through and started writing.  A hundred words in I realised that this was the perfect ending to the book.  There were six more scenes that I originally had in mind to write after this one but I realised they wouldn't work.  Three were no more than filler that could be covered in a bit of back story in book two and the other three were too long.  They would have forced a whole new act in the story and that didn't work.

There I was staring at my screen having written a whopping one hundred words and I wasn't sure if that was what I wanted to do.  I spent the next hour going through it from as many angles as I could think of and always came back to the same conclusion.  In the process I even came up with a kicker start to book three.

So that's it, the first draft of Dark Vengeance Book Two, Crusade For Vengeance, is done.  I think I'm going with Crusade, it fits better and has more ompf to it, as Mr Cox used to say.  He was my primary school headmaster.

I'm going to take a couple of days to rest my brain and help my sister move.  After that I'll get the cover sorted and book description so I can post it for pre-order on Smashwords.

Oh, as it turns out I didn't double book myself for Sunday.  Belt test is tomorrow so I'll be heading back to Essex on Sunday.

Total of the First Draft - 132,132 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment