Monday 15 September 2014

Return For Vengeance

After a relaxing weekend I was ready to get on with it and start playing catch up from Friday's appalling day.  I pleased to say that I managed it.  The story has been flowing, with new twists and turns popping quite naturally.  Of course that is how I feel about after just writing it.  Readers may well disagree and so might I when I do my read through in the morning.

While I was relaxing yesterday a new story idea came to me.  It's in a completely different direction and comes under Urban Fantasy, possibly Horror.  I've had an Urban Fantasy story kicking round my head for a while now but it was too Supernaturalesk for my liking.  Not because I dislike Supernatural.  No, it was too on the nose really.  Two women going round fighting vampires, werewolves etc in the modern day.  See very similar.  The characters are very not Sam and Dean but the rest kind of smacks of plagiarism.

My new story is completely different and from a bit of research I did at the weekend, I think it is even original.  It could really have a Horror take to it but I think I've read a total of two Horror books in my life so I'm not comfortable writing it.  This story has grabbed me so much that I'm tempted to do it between book two and three of Dark Vengeance.  It might give me enough distance to keep book three fresh.  I'll have a think and make a decision after book two is published.

The other question is to make the main character male or female.  It could go either way but the female version is taking shape in my head.  I don't want to be too samey in my writing but this one is nothing like Valerie, Hanna, Troll, Julianna or any of the others in Dark Vengeance.  I might do what Writing Excuses advised and write a monologue for both and see who jumps out at me the most.

On a completely different note, I forgot to buy a cucumber for my salad.  I'm very annoyed with myself.  Speaking of which, the potatos are almost done so time for dinner.

Total now at 114,000 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment