Tuesday 2 September 2014

Return For Vengeance

Not my best day ever, that's for sure.  2,500 words to show for a full days work.

Valerie is in a building that I hadn't planned out, so when I started writing I was going all over the place and it didn't make sense.  It was like putting the cart before the horse.  After 700 very slow words I had to stop and start from scratch.

It wasn't really a waste as I was able to realise in my head the building, its mechanics and rules.  I was actually discovery writing.  The following 1,300 words was much better and every fit together.  It was still slow going and at one point I found myself telling rather than showing.  I was almost going to scrap it all again but I went and had a cup of tea and a think while it brewed.

I decided most of the 1,300 words was showing with only the last paragraph turning to tell so I switched it to a flash back.  I don't generally like flash back's, they're over used in my opinion.  I despair when a TV show starts with a dramatic scene and horrors of horrors the lead has just been shot!  It then switches to 24 hours earlier...  Very annoying.  Of course that isn't really a flash back but some shows do them too much.  The exception is Arrow, I like how they do it.

Anyway, I stuck in the flash back and I liked how it turned out.

I'm not happy with the word count today but I'm not depressed about it either.  I did a full days work and didn't let myself get distracted by Castle or Settlers - Rise of an Empire so it's not luck I sat around doing nothing.  What have a learnt?  Take some time on Sunday's to sketch out that weeks writing.  I've just done some of that so hopefully it will be easier for the next three days.

Total now at 76,500 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment