Wednesday 16 July 2014

Manchester

Originally Posted 09/06/14

I went up to Manchester for the weekend to see a couple of old friends and to go to the British Touring Car Championship at Oulton Park.
Friday morning was spent working on the book once more and I added another 2,500 words.  This meant that in my first full week, due to already pre-planned things, I did 2 full days and wrote 11,000 words which is 1,000 more than I budgeted.  My total is now at 101,500 and I think that is a good start.  My goal is 5,000 words a day and by the end of this week I plan to be at 126,500.  We'll have to see how I get on.
I left for Manchester at 2.00 pm, thinking that it should take me about 3 hours and I could then sit in a local Sainsbury's and write while I waited for my friend to finish work.  It was a nightmare journey in the end with traffic all the way from Junction 14 of the M6, right to his door and took me 5 hours.  Not good.  It did get better after that, we went out and hit a few pubs and six pints later had a good night.
Saturday was a chill out day with a bit of a weird end to it.  My friend and I were planning on doing not a lot as we were both knackered, his wife was off to meet a couple of friends for dinner and at the last minute she decided that we should go with them.  It was a pleasant evening, though I don't think the two of us were great company as we were so tired.
Sunday morning I was up at seven thirty and spent a very peaceful hour sitting on the wall of my friends 5th floor balcony in the sun looking over Manchester City centre.  I was surprised that no one else in the surrounding flats had taken the opportunity.  I guess they were fast asleep.
After picking up our other friend we headed to Outlon Park and with a bit of skilful navigating arrived well in time for the first race.  The BTCC races were a bit of a let-down as they had changed the track and it made over taking very difficult.  In the first two races I think we only saw a handful moves and they were further down the field.  We had a massive down pour before the third race and that did spice things up.  Aron Smith was on Pole due to the reverse grid and he drove a perfect race, not putting a wheel wrong on a very slippery track.  Behind him it was all going on and a great race.
The day finished with the Super Touring Cars with vehicles from the 90's and that was fun to watch these classic cars going flat out, not much different in speed to the current generation.
The journey back was much better in 2 hours and 20 mins and that was without speeding at all.  It was such a clear run.
Now I really do need to get on.  It is 10.30 and I haven't written a word of the book yet.  I had a well-deserved lay in and new washing machine delivered and fitted.
Right the target for today is 106,500 words.  I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment