Friday 27 February 2015

Revolution For Vengeance

It is done.  The first draft is complete and printed, photo included below.  It sends a tingle up my spine when I see the last two months hard work sitting there in hard copy.  It is so much more satisfying than seeing 339 pages or a 140,000 word count on Word.  When it's there in front of you it's real.  Of course seeing the finished printed and bound article is better and I'm one step closer to that.

I used to work in the paper industry so it is something I know a fair bit about.  I changed my paper stocks recently from Revive Business, a responsible quality 100% recycled paper to HP Office a slightly lower grade made from virgin fibre.  I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the HP.  With the Revive it starts to curl after the first 50 pages are printed due to the heat of the laser printer.  It's not a problem, but it does mean I have to feed it manually when I do the second side.  The HP on the other hand stayed flat.  It is currently printing page 250 without me needing to intervene.

I won't bore you with the full explanation, but the short version is it curls due to the moisture content of the paper.  As the printer heats up it dries the paper and causes the curl.  Now to be fair the Revive was sitting open on my shelf for a few months and the HP was a fresh packet.  This does make a difference as the paper absorbs moisture from the air.  It will be interesting to see how the HP copes when I print the 2nd and 3rd copies for editing.

I did my full workout and went for a run this morning.  I think this has earned me the right to celebrate completion of the first draft with a 1,352 calorie Goodfellas Takeaway, Sloppy Joe frozen pizza.  I'll be lubricating it with some Jack Daniels Whisky.

It's day two of testing at Barcelona for the Formula One teams.  Normally I watch Ted's notebook on Sky F1.  It's brilliant, just him a cameraman and an actual notebook.  Testing is technical, there is no other way to say it.  It's all about lap times, running distances, new parts on the cars, what tyres their using, how are the engines holding up, etc, etc.  I love the relaxed way he does it wondering round the paddock and chatting away.  It's rough and ready and he makes mistakes occasionally, but that's part of his charm.

This week though Crofty is doing it under his #askcrofty tag.  I was a bit worried and I was right.  I really don't care what other people are saying on twitter.  I want facts and figures not opinions.  He even missed out two entire teams yesterday.  No mention of Sauber or that Force India weren't arriving until the next day.  He said almost nothing on Red Bull, arguably the number two team after Mercedes.  His interview with the Lotus technical guy was responible, but the rest was rushed without telling us what we needed to know.  It's a shame really.

It's 5 pm and there isn't really anything else I can do so I'm going to go read a book.  That's not something I've done in a while, when you spend all day working with words, reading isn't top of your to do list.

Total now at 140,139 words and the first draft is complete.  Editing starts first thing Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment