Thursday 5 February 2015

Revolution For Vengeance

Today was a good day at a solid 5,000 words.  It seems I ran into the same problem as last week.  I needed to stop and work out the next bit.  I'm mainly a discovery writer, where I don't plan what happens next and this has it's good points and bad.  I saw both today.

A couple of days ago I wanted to add a dream sequence, but I didn't want to interrupt the flow of the scene so I skipped it.  Not entirely sure what I wanted to write today, I went back and did that.  Half way through the dream I suddenly realised that the first line of the next section I wrote two days ago fit perfectly.  That sounds like what should happen and you'd be right.  The weird thing is that I didn't plan it.  I was going to adjust the first few paragraphs as necessary and completely without meaning to I didn't. 

The bad part of being a discovery writer is what I was talking about yesterday.  Getting the characters out of the trouble I've put them into.  I thought about it all night and most of this morning and all the solutions I came up with didn't fit.  They would either looked forced or too easy.  I was chucking things onto the whiteboard and it came to me, fitting in with a couple of other bits I had in play.  I think the solution is quite elegant.  I hope you agree when you read it.

One thing I noticed today is my propensity to use female leads.  I have a fairly even split with 130 named male characters and 101 females.  Don't worry, it's not Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones), a lot either don't have speaking parts or only say a sentence or two.  With that kind of split I was surprised to find myself writing a scene with five main characters in a room, all talking and all women.  Completely unplanned.  OK three of them were Valerie, Hanna and Deni, but still.

I also had a bit of a Eureka moment today.  I was struggling with a scene and it just seemed out of kilter, it didn't feel right.  Then I realised if I switched it with the previous one, it made perfect sense.  That saved me a lot of heart ache in rewriting stuff.

Something that is concerning me at the moment is I'm running out of space.  I'm past the halfway mark and by this point in the last two books I'm well into my big set piece.  I haven't started on that in Revolution.  I may need to cut some stuff out.  Oh well, other than seven post it's on my cork board I really don't know what I'm going to write so who knows.  It may all work out.  It did on the last two.

It's 9.00 pm and time to call it a night - total now at 78,000 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment