Tuesday 24 February 2015

Revolution For Vengeance

Phew, a smidge under 8,000 words today.  That is fantastic.  I'm really making up for my mucking around now.  I've practically pocketed an entire day in two days of writing.  The story is flowing, characters are growing, conflicting and their arcs are being completed.  I'm actually back to my worry about running out of space, but I think I will end around the 150,000 mark.  It's strange how it works out that way without me actually planning it.  Maybe I'm smarter than I think?  Nah!

I was so excited after last week Revenge, I watched this week as soon as Sky had recorded enough for me to fast forward the adverts.  I've got to say that I loved it.  Emily/Amanda (I have no idea what to call her) got to talk to her father properly and we saw her in full ninja mode.  It was great.  My only niggle now is Victoria.  She's far too smart to think she can pitch a man against his daughter.  Even Conrad never betrayed Charlotte.  I'm looking forward to the next one.

I glanced at Tom Cruise's IMDB page earlier today to see if another Jack Reacher was on the cards and it is.  I'm pleased about that and then I saw another project - Top Gun 2.  I just don't see it.  Is this a bunch of men sat in office chairs flying drones against each other, while Maverick proves you can't beat an actual pilot in a plane?  Hmm, that might actually work.  I'll be a bit miffed if that's the plot.

One thing you never realise when you start to write a novel is that you have to be the best at everything.  You're character needs to give an inspirational speech?  You have to write the bloody thing.  How do you do that and be able to get across that it has the impact of "We'll fight them on the beeches" or "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"?  Blood sweat and tears are put into these things by professional speech writers.  Often dozens of people will work on them.  How's an average guy sitting at his home computer meant to do that?  I guess people will have to let me know how I did.

I tried a couple of approaches.  Actually putting the speech in and just giving the impressions it left behind.  I wonder which works the best.

With Revolution, my chapters are longer.  I've just started chapter 31 and on the last two I was at 38 and 35 respectively.  I'm sure why.  Oh well.

Total now at 129,500 and time for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment