Tuesday 31 March 2015

New Project

Not the best day with 2,500 words written.  It was the same for Crusade and Revolution.  The first week was full of false starts and slow days.  I can't put my finger on why yet, but it seems to be the way every time.  It takes me a few days to get up to writing speed.

The good news is that I'm excited about the new story.  I think I'm onto something fairly unique in what I want to tell.  Of course the difficult bit will be making sure I do it justice.  I'm so excited, I wrote the description for the back cover.  It came to me while I was making a cup of tea and I had to get it down. I've also worked out how I'm going to set up the continuity.

This will be one or two books, depending on how it all turns out.  The ideas I'm getting could certainly fill two full novels around the 150K mark I think.  What I want to do is an umbrella name for the world, then have tales of XXXX, book one, book two, etc.  This will let me base the various fantasy story lines I have in one world.  They could either directly connect or be from different times with only the barest references.

From a commercial point of view, I have seen that the five plus book stories do particularly well for indie authors.  I can see why.  People find a story and author they like and stick with it.  I'm guilty of this as mush as the next man, I have all the Terry Pratchett Discworld and David Weber Honorverse novels.

I didn't do this with Dark Vengeance as Valerie had a very definitive story arc.  Once that was complete, the main point of her became mute and had a real chance of becoming repetitive and possibly boring.  Not that I'm finished in that world.  I think I have a couple of other stories to tell.  The origin of Troll being one.

Time for dinner - Total at 4,500 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment