Wednesday 25 March 2015

Revolution and the new project

Wow, for someone who has been talking about editing for the last month, I have done a horrendous job on my recent posts.  I had a quick read through some of them and I've missed words out and used the wrong words.  I know I have a habit of rushing them out at the end of the day, but still, I need to pay more careful attention.

Revolution is pretty much put to bed now.  The 50 page read aloud edit went very well.  In those 50 pages/20,000 words, I found a total of eight actual errors.  There were a few other amendments to be made, but they were all tweaks in language and prose.  I could be doing those forever and you have to draw a line under it at some point.  That is exactly what I've done until I get feedback from my friends.

This week my plan was to work on two story ideas and outline them to see which works best.  Then I watched Poldark and a new idea came to me.  This one was so strong it has drowned the other two out.  I started work on it Monday morning and the ideas just kept flowing.  I couldn't put it aside and carried on yesterday.  I even started writing.  Not much, only a couple of hundred words, but it was a start and I haven't been able to get it out of my head.  So that's the plan for today, to write as much of the Prologue as I can.  Maybe I'll even get into the first chapter.

I think the reason it is sticking with is that it combines a few ideas I have been playing with for years.  Since I was thirteen, and bored while doing my paper round, I have been making up stories to keep myself amused.  Back then it was Transformers, followed by Star Wars and moved onto putting my own character into whatever story I was reading or watching.  In the last ten years or so, that character has been having his own original adventures.  Unfortunately I can't use him, he's too powerful and derivative to use in a novel for sale.  I can use those original adventures and that's where this Project has come from.

The really difficult thing is that I can't give any details here.  I wish I could, but I don't want to spoil it.  I can say that it is a fantasy novel and my initial plan is to build a world in which I can write a number of stories.  They'll all be separate with only the barest of connections.  At least one of my original two ideas would work in it so at least that won't go to waste.  The other had Dinosaurs and I can't see them working in a fantasy setting easily.  Mainly as they would dominate the landscape.  How would a peasant village look if it had to defend against a T-Rex?

I've found the first Writing Excuses podcasts so I'm going to listen to Season One, Episode Two and then start writing.  I wonder how far I'll get?

No comments:

Post a Comment