Friday 13 March 2015

Terry Pratchett

Wow, I just saw the news Terry Pratchett died yesterday.  I'm generally unaffected by the passing of famous people.  I feel sorry for their family and friends certainly at their loss, but I don't know these people, I've never spoken to them or met them.  I always feel it's a bit false to care so deeply for someone you have no personal connection with.

Two of my other favourite writers have died in the past, David Gemmell and Robert Jordan, both masters of their trade.  All three I have read since I was fifteen/sixteen and I have all of their works.  When Gemmell and Jordan died I didn't really feel much personally.  For Pratchett it is different.  I feel a real loss at his passing.  I think it was due to his unique prose, turn of phrase and how he would boil complicated real life concepts into simplicity itself.  From the Carpet People to his latest works, his books are full of them.  It's commentary like we need to believe in Father Christmas as children to learn to believe in Justice, Mercy and fair play as adults, that puts him head and shoulders above other writers.

Terry Pratchett will be missed, not just because he is no longer here to entertain us, but because he is will not be here to educate us.

No comments:

Post a Comment