Monday 27 April 2015

New Project

I had a very clearly defined plan this morning - write 7,500 words.  I let the middle of the book get to me on Wednesday.  The beginning was there, the end pulling together nicely, then I suddenly realised I didn't know what I was doing in the middle.  Generally in a story this is where it all goes wrong, Obi-Wan Kenobi or Phil Coulson dies, and I had nothing.

The last thing I wanted to do was run straight into this problem head on.  I think that would have really set me back, so I sat and tried to plan on Wednesday.  Not as easy as it sounds by a long stretch.  I did manage to get some ideas on the board though.

Thursday was kind of OK with 3,500 words written.  I wasn't sure if I should include the next bit I was planning to write.  It all seemed a little boring.  I didn't know if that was just me or actually the case, so I decided to just write it and if my alpha readers didn't like it, it would get cut.

This morning I started strong, but I got distracted by an article on Top Gear, it's going to be very interesting to see how that shakes out.  This somehow led into looking at jobs.  On a positive note, I did apply for seven, the time wasn't wasted.  I got back to work properly at 12.00 noon with the very firm intention of getting another 1,000 done by lunch.  I didn't manage, it was close but I lost 15 mins trying to work out the name of a merchants meeting place.

The afternoon was better, bust still a struggle.  I got a phone call from a recruitment company at 4.30pm and suddenly I had an interview the next day.  That cost me over an hour in talking to them and digging out the suit.

Still by the end I did manage a solid 5,000 words.  Not as much as I'd like, but at least I didn't waste much time.  Also I did continue after getting that call.  It was so tempting to just call it at 5.30pm with my focus broken.  I didn't and got another 1,500 words done so it was worth pushing on.

Total now at 43,000 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment