Tuesday 7 April 2015

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

A friend of mine lent this to be months ago and it has sat on a shelf ever since.  Not as I wasn't interested, but because I have struggled to be in the mood to read recently.  When you spend all day either working out how to describe something or editing, reading becomes one of the last things you want to do.  I'm not stuck precisely at the moment, but I am struggling with several overarching plot stories on the new project.  It was a nice day yesterday and I thought it would be nice to take a break, sit in the sun and read.

Wow, The Rook is very, very good.  It's based in a supernatural world hidden within modern day England like Harry Potter, Supernatural, Warehouse 13, etc.  O'Malley takes that, adds a magical MI5 and throws in a mystery plot.

The main character is Myfanwy Thomas and she wakes up with no memories surrounded by dead bodies.  Fortunately her previous self knew this was going to happen and wrote detailed letters on who she was and how the new her could get by in her world.  The mystery part is that she didn't know who was behind the attack.

The original Myfanwy is no James Bond, Jack Bauer or Evelyn Salt.  She's a high up administrator with no field experience.  This gives an extra element rarely explored and adds to the interest.  We see Myfanwy explore this world through new eyes, helped by her previous incarnation’s intricate notes and learning about both herself and the world.

The story is well paced with a good blend of action, mystery and discovery.  I honestly did not want to put it down and ended up reading late into the night rather than watch Revenge and Gotham.

My gripes are fairly minor.  Firstly the name Myfanwy was distracting, the author makes a point of telling us early on it is pronounced as Tiffany with an M.  It took about half of the book for this to become natural to me.  I was constantly correcting myself in my head and this took me out of the story on a regular basis.

Secondly, the letters from pre-amnesia Myfanwy are pure info dump and do tend to feel like you are being lectured to.  They are also placed right at the moment something big happens and I was constantly tempted to just skip them to get back to the story.  They are all relevant and engaging, even the most obscure, they just felt false and annoying.

As I said at the start - very, very good.  I will certainly be getting book two next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment