Thursday 7 May 2015

Today's been a bit different.

I did something stupid last night at Karate.  We were doing a bear race as a warm up where you run around on your hands and feet.  The stupid bit was when I went too fast, couldn't stop and crashed into a wall head first.  My head was fine, but I twisted my wrist quite badly.  Every move was agony.  Fortunately we weren't doing any punching so I was able to tough out the rest of the lesson.

It's pretty bad though, I can't lift anything, opening doors is painful and even writing is difficult.  I think I would have actually preferred a black eye and bloody nose to this.  They heel pretty quickly and don't stop you from doing anything.  Fortuitously I can type without any discomfort.  This has actually helped me concentrate better.  Possibly because I can't physically do anything else, but I'm not downstairs watching TV.

I decided to stick with giving the New Project a break and work on my practice short story.

It's polling day and a few days ago I saw an advert/notice that E4 were going to switch off to help promote voting.  I was intrigued as to what they would put up instead so while my tea was brewing, I switched it on.  It was hilarious in a funny surreal way.  They had this big guy in the a purple shirt sitting in a chair by a screen confirming E4 was off.  There was also scrolling text running along the bottom with funny comments like:

E4 is off for today, you could go back to bed or you could take half an hour and vote.

I thought it was extremely clever and all done very well.  It's one of those things that's very simple, but works so well.  The kind of thing you think 'I could have thought of that' but you didn't.

I have no idea if it repeats during the twelve hours it's off and I wasn't going to stick around to find out.  It was tempting though, it was strangely compelling viewing.  I was going to see what was happening before nd after my lunch but I forgot.

For the record I voted before nine this morning.

Writing wise, I actually managed 4,500 words on a short story I've been working on as practice.  I like to publish these anonymously on a writers website and get feedback.  It can be quite enlightening and the good comments give me a real boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment