Friday 8 May 2015

Interesting Times ahead

I got distracted this morning by the election results.  I watched a bit of the coverage last night before I went to bed.  The commentators were droning on about the exit polls showing a Conservative victory.  I got a bit annoyed as it was a poll and they were treating it as fact.  Basically talking about it as they had nothing else to say for hours.  I did jot down the numbers out of curiosity before heading upstairs.

Wow, weren't they close?  The Exit poll stated Con 316 and Lab 239, completely contrary to all the polls before.  The result?  Con 331 and Lab 232.  A Conservative win.  That's not the interesting thing though, that's just normal British politics with either a Tory or Labour government.

The interesting thing is just how badly the SNP beat everyone in Scotland.  Was this a swing in their favour from last years No voters or did all the Yes people turn up and only some of the No's?  I do wonder.  How all those very left wing MP's are going to interact with a right wing government is going to be fun to watch.

The question I have is:  Without Scotland, can Labour ever again govern Britain?

The good news for me is that phone call about the job happened.  I know have an interview and can stop worrying about missing the call.

I managed a couple of thousand words today on the short story, so at least I did something.

No comments:

Post a Comment