Wednesday 26 November 2014

Crusade For Vengeance

Yay, I am almost back up to speed.  5,000 words today.  I say almost because I started writing at 8.15 am.  It's been a long day.  I would keep going for another hour but tonight is Karate and I need to have dinner first.

I normally have lunch at about 1pm and watch a recorded program while I eat.  Today it was Quantum Leap and I am really enjoying watching them again.  The thing that always catches me though is Doctors.  It's on from 1.45 to 2.15 and I generally catch it about 1.50/1.55.  It's day time TV and let's face it, that normally means complete drivel.

Doctors is different though with some fairly punchy, well written stories.  Today it told the tale of a woman in her twenties, she moved from Nigeria and died alone in her flat on Christmas day.  She wasn't found for two years.  The last person to see her alive was her neighbour.  They were meant to have Christmas Dinner together at his house, two lonely people coming together because they had no one else.

He didn't report her as missing and didn't think anything was wrong about her because he was a convicted criminal.  He thought she had stood him up because she found out and avoided him from then on.

It does sound a little far-fetched but trust me it's not.  I've personally seen both of these things happen.  Of course they were separate but it's still a worthwhile story to tell and is indicative of the storylines Doctors produces.  I caught EastEnders last night and I watched it purely to see how it compares.  Doctors certainly isn't as dramatic but in its quiet understated way I think it tells much better and more relevant stories.

Hopefully tomorrow I can mange a similar level of productivity as today.  These extra chapters certainly are going to add a lot to the book.  It currently sits at 127,000 words and I'm at 10,000 already with the new stuff.  I think I'm only a third of the way through.  I've very pleased with that, I want my books to be around the 150,000 word mark so they give real value for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment